Sunday, January 30, 2011

Maple Banana Coconut Tea Loaf

 
For some reason, this photo has come out vertical, even though I shot it in landscape, and it's saved in landscape format on my computer.  Hm.
My original inspiration for this loaf was a Maple Pumpkin one that I saw in a magazine while visiting my parents.  I would definitely like to try this loaf with pumpkin, but I had so many bananas around, so I got inspired to try this loaf with banana instead, and some unsweetened shredded coconut that's been sitting in the pantry for a while.

It's a good, dense load with some crunchiness to it, thanks to the ground cornmeal I used, and the almonds.  I think the banana might be a bit too overpowering for the coconut and maple because I couldn't taste much of either. 

For the tea, I used a good quality Vanilla Earl Grey, and it smells awesome!  I can't wait to have this during my break at training tomorrow...

Maple Banana Coconut Tea Loaf
Source: Alive Magazine, February 2011 issue, Maple Pumpkin Tea Loaf.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (sub stoneground cornmeal)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg (omitted)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (omitted)
1/2 tsp allspice (omitted)
1/4 salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin puree (sub 2 ripe bananas, mashed)
1 tbsp loose leaf black tea, finely ground
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (sub almonds)
1/2 cup dried cherries (omitted)
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, spices (if using), xanthan gum (if using) and salt.

In separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and mix in maple syrup, oil, pumpkin (or mashed bananas), and black tea.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until all the flour is moist. Fold in walnuts and cherries (if using).

Pout into greased 9x5x3 (2L) loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a tester inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean. Let cool before unmoulding.

No comments:

Post a Comment